The following Rules & Regulations will govern all public tournaments sponsored by the SCCA.
The basic rules*
- Cornhole boards will be set 27 feet apart, from front edge to front edge.
- There are 4 bags per set. 2 sets of different colored bags are required for each game.
- The front of the board is the foul line. Players may not step in front of the board until their bag has left their hand.
- Bag on Board = 1 point
- Bag through Hole = 3 points
- Bags that hit the ground prior to landing on the board or going into the hole do not count
- Any bag touching the ground and the board does not count
- Any bag that hits a bag that is touching the ground does not count
- Any bag hanging in the hole counts as 1 point
- Cancellation scoring is used at the end of each round. After all 8 bags have been thrown, the score is calculated based on the bags that remain on the board and have gone in the hole.
- Example: If Team A has 4 points and Team B has 3 points, Team A will get 1 point
- A game is played to 21+. There is no win by 2 rule or bust rule for going over 21. There is also no “skunk” rule. No game will end until 1 team reaches 21+ points unless timers have been implemented.
- A coin toss or bag spin will take place prior to each game. The winner of the toss or spin can decide if his/her team throws first OR can decide which side of the board to throw from (lane).
- If the winner chooses the throwing order, the opponent gets to choose which lane to throw from. If the winner chooses the lane to throw from, the opponent gets to choose the throwing order.
- Players will alternate throwing their 4 bags down to the board on the other end.
- Throwing out of turn or in front of the foul line is a foul. The bag that was thrown when the foul occurred does not count and is immediately removed from play.
- In Singles, once the first round is completed, players will walk down to score the round, stay on the same end and then throw back for the next round
- In Doubles, partners stand on the opposite end from each other and remain on the same end for the duration of the game.
- In both Singles and Doubles, opponents throw from opposite lanes and must stay in the same lane for the duration of the game.
In general, bags will be provided by SCCA for use in tournament play. If a player wishes to use their own bags, the Tournament Director will decide to allow or disallow the bags, and that decision will be final. To be considered, bags must meet the following specifications:
- Length: Bags must be square and each side should measure 5.75″ – 6.25″ when laid flat.
- Weight: Bags must weigh 14 ounces – 16 ounces.
- Thickness: Bags must measure 1.125″ to 1.5″.